Electron Beam Welding / Hardening works by Impinging the surface of the work piece with a concentrated beam of electrons. The Electrons are accelerated across electromagnetic lenses and their kinetic energy are converted to heat upon impact onto the workpiece. The intensity of the heat can be accurately controlled to bring about the fusion of two surfaces or the hardening of a surface by martensitic transformation.
Advantages of using Electron Beam include :
- Ability to weld refractory, gas-sensitive and alloy materials
- Minimum heat affected zones and good dimensional stability
- No filler material required
- Precise control over area of treated surface
- High consistency and reproducibility